Salasota (UK) Sarasota) is a city in Sarasota County, the southwestern coast of Florida, the United States of America. It is located in the south of Tampa Bay and north of Fort Myers. The city includes the Barrier Islands between the Gulf of Sarasota and the Gulf of Mexico.
|City of Sarasota|
| Nickname: |
| Slogan: |
"A Place where City Comfort Meets Small Town Life"
the location of Salasota County (right) and the location of Salasota City in the county
|27 degrees 20 minutes 14 seconds north latitude 82 degrees 32 minutes 7 seconds west longitude / 27.33722 degrees north latitude 82.53528 degrees west longitude / 27.33722 degrees; -82.53528 Coordinates: 27 degrees 20 minutes 14 seconds north latitude 82 degrees 32 minutes 7 seconds west longitude / 27.33722 degrees north latitude 82.53528 degrees west longitude / 27.33722 degrees; -82.53528|
|- Type||Municipal Board Manager|
|- Mayor||rotates annually|
|· Managers||Thomas Barwin|
|· Cities||25.93mi2 (67.2 km2)|
|· Land||14.89mi2 (38.6 km2)|
|- Water surface||11.04mi2 (28.6 km2) 42.58%|
|· Density||3,539.8/mi2 (1,366.7/km2)|
|· Urban areas||673,035|
|equal time||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|· Daylight saving time||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|ZIP code|| |
34230 - 34243
|GNIS feature ID||0290675|
|website||The City of Sarasota Florida Website|
The islands separate the bay near the town with the name "Key" after the name of Reeidouky, Siesta and so on and the Sarasota Bay. These keys are known to the world on high quality beaches.
Currently, the keys in the city are Reeidoukee, St. Armanzky, Otterke, Kuunky, Bird Key and part of the Siesta key. Formerly, Siesta Key was called Sarasota Key. All of the Siesta and Longboat keys were considered to belong to Sarasota, and there are cases where they are confused by the materials.
The Longboat Key is the largest island that separates the Gulf of Mexico and the Bay of Sarasota, but was split in half at the new county border in 1921. The part of the key, which runs parallel to the city of Sarasota, along the coast to the county border, was removed from the city in the mid-1920s at the request of John Ring. Ring Ring tried to avoid being taxed from the city where the development plan for the southern end of the key was located. This development plan was not completed due to the short-term economic change, but the concessions granted by the city were not canceled, and the district controlled the land thereafter.
According to the Census Bureau of the United States, the population of Sarasota City was 52,211 in 2012. It was designated as a local government certified in 1986. Sarasota City is a major city in the Braedington Salasota Venice Metropolitan Area and the district office of Sarasota County.
It is included in the Metropolitan Planning Organization, which includes Sarasota County and Manati County in the north. The organization is organized in accordance with federal regulations. It is also the center of the three elements of the organization belonging to the Regional Planning Organization including eight counties of Central West Florida.
15,000 years ago when mankind entered Florida, the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico was 100 miles (160 km) west of the coast. In this period, hunting and gathering was a major means of survival. It was necessary that both the hunting and the sacrificial victims had water sources. Deep springs and watershed areas like hot springs were located near the Sarasota area, but they were too far off to be established.
As the Pleistocene glaciers melted, the warmer climate began to spread to the north. Sea levels began to rise, eventually rising 350 feet (110 meters), and the coastline of Florida became today's shape, making it an attractive place for humans to settle down.
The Sarasota archeological study shows that humans had entered the country by season more than ten thousand years ago. For 5,000 years after the current sea level, fishing in the Sarasota Bay became the main source of protein, showing that discarded shells and fish bones had been maintained by the abundant harvest of the Bay as a place where humans settled in the Sarasota during the prehistory period.
a period of time when records remain
In the early 16th century, Europeans first explored the area. The first record was in 1513 when a Spanish expedition landed at Charlotte Port just south of Sarasota. There were Spaniards who were used by the Indians in their early dealings with the Indians, and this is evidence of their initial contact.
In the map of the middle of the 18th century, it is described as 'Zara Zote' (Sarah SOTE). It probably comes from the name of the Indians, and it is a hidden bay and harbor which attracted fish and marine trade. Soon, a fishing camp called 'Rancho' was established along the bay. It was established by Americans and Cubans who exchanged fish and tortoises for Havana goods. Florida changed its territory to Spain, then England, and then Spain and its ruling countries.
After the United States acquired Florida in 1819, five years ago when the United States was promoted to state in 1845, the army built Armisted Fort on the coast of Sarasota.
The fort is thought to have been in the Indian Beach area and has been under investigation. A fort was built in Rancho, an African slave, Luis Pacheco, who worked for a Cuban American owner. The drawing of the fort serves as a clue to the place, and it shows the important features of the Indian Beach today. Just before the forts were abandoned due to the epidemic, Seminole Indian chiefs gathered to discuss the impending displacement of the Oklahoma Territory. They were Indian tribes who moved here when Spain was ruling Florida. The Tokobaga and Karusa people, who were originally from Florida, were extinct due to the plague brought by the Spaniards. They maintained a permanent village from late autumn to spring and moved to a settlement in the north during the summer.
Soon after, the remaining Seminole Indians were forced to immigrate to the Big Cypress Wetlands in the south, and in 1842, the land of Sarasota, which was then held by the federal government, was opened to European settlers by the Armed Occupation Act established by the United States Congress and was privately owned. Luis Pacheco was also sent to Oklahoma with the Indians.
In the 1840s, quite a number of European pioneers came in. The area was already called 'sarasote' in Spanish on the map of the early 18th century, and it was called 'sarasota.' Early pioneers came in because of the climate here and the abundant harvest in Sarasota Bay.
Sarasota was governed by several counties of the United States according to the times. It was in 1845 that Florida was promoted to a state after the United States acquired it in 1819. In 1834, Hillsboro County was built from Alacha County and Monroe County, and the early land rights were acquired. In 1855, Hillsboro County was divided, Sarasota entered Manati County, which continued until 1921, and in the same year three new counties were formed from Manati County. One of them was called Sarasota County, and Sarasota City became the district office location. The city once expanded to Bowles Creek, but an arbitrary border was drawn into the airport so that the two counties, including Manati County, could jointly manage the airports they used. North of the new county border, the property records and the street addresses, which are south of Bowles Creek, remained the same as the postal address Salasota.
In 1880s, irrigation was provided to the central part of the state and sold to the northern and overseas developers to repay the debt incurred by Florida due to the defeat in the Civil War.
William Whitaker was born in 1821 in Savannah, Georgia. He was the first European settler who had permanently settled in the city of Sarasota. Before Whitaker, Cubans and American fishermen had built a fishing camp, or rancho, along the Sarasota Bay, but it was not used throughout the year. After spending time in Manati settlement along the Manati River, Whitaker built a house on the Yellow Bluffs, just north of the current 11th street. They sold dried fish and roe to a Cuban trading company working on the beach. In 1847, he began to keep cows.
In 1851, Whitaker married Mary Jane Wyatt. Mary was a member of a family who settled in Manati settlement, about 13 miles (21 km) northeast along the Manati River. The difficulty faced by the isolated pioneers was to raise 11 children.
In the midst of the difficulties was an attack on the house which had been destroyed. which was directed by Holatamico, the chief of the former friendly Seminole Indian, and by Billy Bowlegs. The family was never hurt, but the house burned down.
Whitaker rebuilt the house and continued to prosper. The remains of the family's property have not been preserved for development in the 1980s. The cemetery remains. In the 1930s, the cemetery was donated to "The Daughters of the American Revolution." But as long as there was room, the condition was that the Whitaker family and its descendants would be buried. The total is 85 sections, of which 39 are dating.
In 1867, Eutica, New York State arrived in Florida to find a place for the Web house to be settled. After coming to Key West, I met a Spanish trader. The trader talked about the land on the top of a high cliff along the Sarasota Bay as a good place to make a home. The Web House reached Sarasota in search of the cliff and told William Whitaker about the situation. Whitaker took them to the place where they were told. The place was a few miles south of the Whitaker's house. After the Web settled there, they named it "Spanish Point" after a Spanish trader.
The Web family had to go very far to send mail, which lasted nearly 20 years. In 1884, John Webb petitioned for a postal address. I chose the name 'Osprey' because the federal regulations required that the new address be a single word. A new town grew around this address. There is no similar document about the name sarasota, but it is possible that the name 'Zara Zota' or 'Sara Sota' was changed to 'Sarasota' by the rule that one word was used.
In 1885, 'Scotts Colony' was established in Sarasota, and was described as a tropical paradise built in a prosperous town. Before the Florida Mortgage and Investment Company sold it, the sections were divided and measured. When the investors arrived at the O'Miston Colony in December by boat, they had to walk along the water to the shore, and there were only primitive lands, with no promised houses, shops, and streets. Several weeks later, it was also blocked by snow.
Several Scots, including the Browning family, remain in Sarasota, with the family of developer John Hamilton Girespie. Girespie, the manager of the Florida Mortgage and Investment Company, started to develop salasoters in line with the failed colony plan. In 1887, he built the De Sorta Hotel and opened it on February 25, where he held a big social event and celebration. In May 1886, he completed a two-hole golf course, which is considered to be the first golf course in the United States. In order to play golf, which had been his hobby by 1905, he completed a golf course with a width of 110 acres (45 ha) and nine holes. Eventually, tourists came to the port constructed on the Gulf Coast.
In 1899, Rose Phillips Wilson and her husband C·V·S Wilson established the Salasota Times newspaper company. It was the first newspaper published in Sarasota, and even after her husband died in 1910, Rose continued to publish the newspaper by herself until 1923. Through many organizations, he entered the leadership of the town and wrote editorials on many problems.
The Tarpon Springs Leader, who was also respected by his fellow journalists, listed Rose's Times as the best weekly in the state. When the State Council passed a bill to establish Sarasota County, a telegram was sent to Rose Wilson to convey it. When the referendum approved the separation from the manatee, Wilson changed the newspaper name to "Sarasota County Times."
Rose Wilson lived in the First World War, the booming period of the 1920s, the Great Depression, the Second World War, and the boom period of the 1950s. Even after he retired from publishing newspapers in 1923, he continued to work in many local groups, including influential 'Fujin Club' (Mrs. Benin Club), and in the 1940s, he spent time working as a teacher and patron for young people of the First Presbyterian Church. He died in 1964 at the age of 88.
In 1902, the village of Sarasota incorporated the local government as a town in accordance with the state's guidelines. John Hamilton Gilespie became mayor. In 1912, the land readjustment was implemented, and in 1913, it was incorporated as a city. The first mayor was A. B. Edwards.
Owen Barnes came to Salasota to fish and spent his whole life in it. Not only did he become the largest landowner in the city, but he also established a bank, promoted the development of other businesses, and built bridges, landmark buildings, and residences. They dredged the harbor and created a new bay front with recycled soil. In order to attract tourists, new developments such as Burns Court were carried out and commercial facilities were built to promote regional development.
He also worked with John Ringling to develop the Barrier Islands, but went bankrupt when the ring failed to fulfill the provisions of the Development Agreement. In 1925, Barnes built the El Vernona Hotel, named after his wife, Vernona Hill Freeman Barnes. Shortly after the hotel opened, the land boom in Florida was launched and the financial situation was severely damaged by the failure to complete the joint project contract. It was John Ringling who took this opportunity to buy the hotel, but a few years later the stock market collapsed and Ringling experienced the same trouble.
Barnes has contributed to bringing tourists from all over the country to Sarasota, including his building and bridge. With five children, Lilian G. Barnes became the most important historian in the region.
In the early 20th century, Bertha Onole Palmer was the largest landowner, rancher, and developer in the area and owned more than 90,000 acres (360 km2) of land. A. B. Edwards, when he saw an advertisement in a Chicago newspaper, came to Sarasota. He and Edwards continued their business relations. The Palmer State Bank, which was established in Five Points, the main street in the city, survived as a powerful bank led by his son during the Great Depression and merged with the Southeast Bank in 1976.
Bertha Palmer also owned a large land in the present Maiacca State Park. It was used as a ranch in those days. It developed and implemented an innovative method that would allow cattle to be raised and became a big presence in the state. The Meadow Sweet Farm made a significant contribution to the development of a method that would enable large-scale agriculture and dairy industries to ship to local markets. The experiment worked with the state's agricultural management department.
As the war in Europe became a threat, Palmer sold to his social circle's friends the beauty of the salasota and the advantages of replacing a typical foreign tourist spot. Palmer built a winter house on the site that the Web had. We built a resort to appeal to the first people in the area. It was established as a popular place for wealthy people to live in winter and for tourists to spend their vacation, and it continued until the post-war period, and in the 1920s, it was praised by the new wealthy class, who had developed greatly in Japan even after World War II.
In the early publicity of Palmer, Salasota Bay was compared to Naples Bay and the interest in fishing was being promoted. As time went by, the abundant harvest of the bay continued to attract tourists, and overfishing led the depletion of resources.
Palmer protected most of the original Web architecture and greatly expanded the site. The site is registered as a historic Spanish Point in the National Register of Historic Places of the United States and is open to the public for free. However, the Oaks, where Palmer stayed for tourists, are not preserved.
Owen Barnes also came to Sarasota in 1910, just after Bertha Palmer. Barnes soon became the largest landowner in the city, so that many of the large sarasota lands that Palmer owned are in the present Sarasota County (which was not a county while Palmer was alive). Many of the streets in the city have left her name on a trail made by Palmer. However, Palmer, along with the others, also joined the speculation in the city and bought a lot of undeveloped land, so her son's name remains in many places.
Even after Palmer's son succeeded to the business and Bertha died in 1918, Parmer was also an investor and benefactor in salarata. Other than the place where she spends her vacation and the attention of the world as a thick winter house, she is also known for her breeding and agricultural improvements, and she can claim that part of her land, the Oscar Sheller State Park, and the vast Maiacca River State Park, are her two great legacy in Sarasota.
Other towns in the area were also incorporated or grew into towns. They have very different characteristics from bay front. The Bayfront ends at current No. 10. These towns were absorbed as the salasota grew up, but some of them remain their names and are now recognized as a district. Communities such as Overtown, BayHaven, Indian Beach, Shell Beach, Birridge and Flutville had to disappear from the memory of the people living there now. The overtown grew to include the area now designated as the Rosemary District, and the New Town area merged with it. The Ringling Art Design College has a hotel in its administration building that was developed for the town of Bay Haven. It was built on the Old Braidenton Road, a main street to the north of the Manati River. This road ran across the widest part of Bowles Creek. Tamami Trail was developed in the 1920s, and the bridge over the creek was removed as a natural barrier to development. Shell Beach is the site of the Sapphire Shores and The Appleases, building a large manor on a high hill along the bay.
The sisters of Katherine McClellan and Dietta McClellan became land developers at this time. They built a small section of McClellan Park, which is the most important and successful residential area to the south of the central city. The section was registered in 1913. Unlike the typical lattice-like block used often for large-scale development, it became a city that was closely combined and provided facilities for recreation and sports such as yacht's pier and tennis court.
Women played an important role in the development of salasota. Although it is probably not so different from many towns, the history of salasota has written its role. Bertha Palmer is not so different here, and if you look for the records of the county in the Sarasota County History Hall, you can find many other examples.
The northern area of Sarasota attracted many of the Ringling brothers. They built their wealth as a circus magnate in the early 20th century. The Ringling Brothers Circus was not yet integrated into a single organization.
Mary Louise and Charles N. Thompson divided Shell Beach in 1895. Thompson's house was the first. From the present sun circle to Bowles Creek, Since 1911, Mayble and John Ringling began to spend the winter at the house, and finally bought a large lot of parcels as a permanent winter house in Salasota. Thompson was a land developer and a manager of another circus. At the same time as a secluded place in winter, he invited several Ringers to Sarasota to speculate in the land.
First, the family of Alf T. Ringling entered the Whitfield Estate with a vast estate. The family of Charles and John Ringling followed, and further to the south. Soon, children and families increased the presence of the Ringin family in Sarasota. After the death of Alf T. Ringling in 1919, Ring Brothers Circus made Sarasota a winter house and Charles Ringling took over the business.
Charles N. Thompson joined the staff of the Ring Brothers Circus, and started buying small circus and fire-fighting circus, and made them perform separately. In 1919, they were integrated into a huge circus and were called "the largest show on earth." At this time, only two of the five founders were alive, but other members of the family joined the project and joined the council. The cast and staff began to settle in the sarasota and made the ring circus part of the sarasota town.
After World War I ended, the economy also started to boom in sarasota. The city was filled with people looking for new jobs and investment, and the chic social world that early developers had made was sought.
On Thompson's Shell Beach, Mabel and John Ringling built their house next to the section where Ellen and Ralph Capuls built their winter house. This soon became a museum. Edith and Charles Ringling built a complex house, including the home of their daughter, Hester Ringling Landcaster Sanford.
The next larger section just north of Shell Beach, from Ellen Capuls to Mayle and John Ringling and others, was not developed until 1947 and changed hands several times. It was later developed as the Uplands. In the old days involved in the neighborhood were Bertha Palmer, his son Onore, A.B. Edwards, whose name was given to the streets in the city.
In 1925, the land facing this lot was repartitioned as a seagate in order to create a new small lot. In 1929 Gwendlin and Powell Crossley built the winter house here. All of these historic houses and museums are registered as National Register of Historic Places of the United States.
The Sapphire Shores section of the Indian Beach grew just south and a large house was built along the bay. The Sapphire Shores was a home for professionals and retired people who wished or were involved in the society of the wealthy people mentioned above. Indian Beach, once a different town, had a house of pioneers who survived in a new fashionable building built in the boom of the 1920s.
Charles Ring as a Developer
Charles Ring invested in the land, developed it, and made a bank. He joined Sarasota's civic life and advised the entrepreneur who started a new business. I lent money to a new company from the bank. He encouraged the establishment of projects, donated land to newly established counties, and built the offices and buildings of the county government there as gifts for towns.
Ring Boulevard is named after Charles Ringling. Turning eastward from the Tamami Trail at the Bayfront, he headed towards the headquarters of the circus in winter. It crosses Washington Bullbird, where Charles Ring has a high rise Sarasota Terrace Hotel built in Chicago style. Across the hotel is a county building donated by Charles. At that time, it was easy to go by train.
Charles Ringling and his wife Edith started building a winter house at Bayfront in the early 1920s. Charles died in 1926, just after it was completed. For the next few decades, Edith remained there, continued to serve as a circus manager, took over many of her husband's work, and continued cultural activities in the community. Her daughter Hester and her sons worked in the world of salsaw and musical. Today, Edith Ringling Estate and its international presence are on the campus of New College of Florida.
Joint Operations of John Ring and Owen Barnes
John Ring made a big investment in the development of the Barrier Islands called the Key, which separates the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf of Salasota. Sarasota had a development plan with several companies, but Owen Barnes and I established a company called "Ring Isles Estates" and developed a key. Barnes had all the Reed-Key. Owen Barnes built a bridge to the island to develop those lands. Finally, the ring ring donated to the city government to put the bridge on maintenance. They named the road John Ringling Boulevard. At the heart of St. Armando's key is the Harding Circle, which is surrounded by the names of the other presidents. Winter homes of so-called snowbirds gathered and sold to the wealthy.
the tip of the 1920s Depression
"The 20s of Frenzy" ended early in Sarasota. Florida was the first region in Japan to be affected by financial problems that led to the Great Depression. In 1926, land development speculation began to collapse with the collapse of banks on the east coast of Florida. This was quite early than most parts of the country. The financial crisis spread throughout Florida. John Ringling also benefited from the economic collapse at first. Ring spent the company's money on another project and put Owen Burns, the co-owner, in bankruptcy. The plan failed, too. Later, he bought the landmark El Bernona Hotel from Burns with a metal wad. But John Ringling lost most of his money. Immediately after his wife Maible died in June 1929, his own shares fell and the situation began to deteriorate.
Just before the collapse of the market, Ringling was buying several other circus and trying to sell them on the stock market by integrating them with the existing ones. The collapse of the market brought the plan to an end. Ringling had invested in expensive art objects, but a big project like the Ritz Hotel, one of the Barrier Islands, had not yet been completed. The plan of the art school attached to the museum was abandoned. He approved the use of his name in an art school established by another person in a salasota, but he was reluctant.
The board of directors of the circus, which includes members of the family, Edith Ring and others, removed John Ring and put Samuel Ganpart on board. By the time John Ringling died in 1936, he had almost gone bankrupt. The assets were saved because they were sent to the state along with their collection of art and died just before the bankruptcy. Photos of the assets remain in the museum, showing that the bank deposit that was left at the time of his death was only $400. His nephew, John Ringling North, had been struggling for many years to avoid losing his property.
new city plan
In 1925, John Noren, a city planner, was hired to develop a development plan for the city center. Noren had an arched road near the bay front and a grid at the end. It ran from No. 10 in the north to Mound in the south. The plan was closely linked to the development of the city at that time.
The street name and number of the central town were changed to the current one. At that time, Numbered Street started with Barnes Square and a triangular building in Barnes that separated the intersection of Orange Avenue and Pineapple Avenue as the first street. Noren moved it to the north to start on the current main street. At the end of the main street, Hawver Arcade, the City Hall, stood at the waterfront, from which the city's pancakes stretched. That was the center of the new city. Cars and baggage could pass through the arcade, and the railroad was laid directly to the terminal.
The new plan has highlighted the city hall at the Bayfront and made it the core of the city. The BayFront, the main city, and Broadway, the northern part of the city, are part of the Tamami Trail that was under construction. This trail became a part of National Route 41 of the United States, and in 1928, it was connected to Tampa City and Miami City (thus it became the name of the trail). In the northern part of Manati County, it was connected to U.S. National Route 301, turning at Dog Leg and heading for the west Cortes Road. In Sarasota City, the road turned east, passed through the center of the city on May Street, and merged again with National Route 301 in Washington Boulevard.
The plan was abandoned in the 1960s. The city hall was dismantled in order to speed up the Tamami Trail, and the city hall was replaced by the BayFront. By the last ten years of the 20th century, traffic in automobiles increased, making it difficult for people to walk across intersections. The plan at this time was required to link the central city to the bay front again, and to remove the designation of high-standard roads from the Bay Front road. In the concept of New Urbanism, we concentrated on walking through the town and making the most of the most beautiful property, the Sarasota Bay, to be reproduced. A rotary was considered as a means to reduce noise, and it was decided that among bicycles and pedestrians whose use was increasing, the movement of automobiles would be integrated into a graceful design to be safe and efficient, and air pollution would be reduced in combination.
During the September 11th terrorist attacks in the United States, President George W. Bush read "Pet Sheep" at Emma E. Booker Elementary School and was informed that the World Trade Center Building in New York City was attacked at that time.
In 2010, an island in the city was temporarily renamed "Google Island" to introduce Google Fibers into the city.
a new recession
The boom in the 1950s collapsed and ended, but nearly 100 years after the first land speculation collapse that had a great impact on the economy in the mid-1920s, Sarasota became the center of the property crisis in 2008. Since a large amount of real estate speculation, which had started in the late 1990s, dramatically expanded in the early 2000s, financial credit problems continued with the establishment of mortgages, along with poor deals. When the decline started from the value of assets, which had risen sharply due to speculation, the mortgage problem became a big issue. Some assets lost the value of the established mortgage and there were big differences. As the asset value remained low and tax revenue from the government was reduced, the exercise rate of security interest was increased. This became a nearly national problem and spread to other countries. This problem has not yet been over, but it could be called the collapse of a new boom. This is not only a problem of undeveloped land and Florida, but also a mortgage of houses based on the value of assets, which led to a major financial crisis.
geography and climate
Sarasota City is located at 27 degrees 20 minutes 14 seconds north latitude 82 degrees 32 minutes 7 seconds west longitude/27.33722 degrees north latitude 82.53528 degrees west longitude / 27.33722 degrees west longitude; -82.53528 (27.337273, -82.535318). According to the National Census Bureau, the total area of the county area is 25.9 square miles (67 km2), of which land area is 14.9 square miles (38.6 km2), water area is 11.0 square miles (39 km 2) and water area is 42.58%.
Sarasota has a warm wet climate, hot in summer, warm in winter, and high humidity throughout the year. There are clear rainy and dry seasons, and the rainy season is from June to September and the dry season is from October to May.
|Climate of salasota|
|Maximum Temperature Record °F (°C)||89 |
|Mean maximum temperature°F (°C)||72 |
|Mean Minimum Temperature°F (°C)||51 |
|Minimum Temperature Recording °F (°C)||23 |
|Precipitation inch (mm)||2.94 |
|Source: The Weather Channel|
The following is demographic data from the 2000 census.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
In the case of Sarasota County, data from 2005 to 2007 showed the population was 368,000, 192,000 women (52%), and 176,000 men (48%).
Population structure by age in Sarasota County (2005 to 2007) Population by age
- Under 18: 17%
- 18-24 years old: 6%
- 25-44 years old: 21%
- 45-64 years old: 27%
- Over 65 years of age: 30%
The percentage of people who declared only one race was 92% white, 4% black, less than 0.5% Indians, 1% Asians, less than 0.5% Pacific Islands and 2% other races. The amount of mixed blood was 1%. The Hispanics, regardless of race, were 7%. The ratio of non-Hispanic white people was 87%.
The per capita income of the county was US$28,326, the median income of women was US$25,721, and for men, US$32,114.
The county's median income per household was US$49,030. Sixty-three percent of households had income and twenty-eight percent had pensions other than social security. 55% of households received social security. The average annual income from social security was US$16,654. These sources of income are not exclusive, and some households receive from one or more sources of income.
The population of Sarasota City was 51,917 in the 2010 census. Non-Hispanic white people 65.6%, black people 15.1%, Indian people 0.4%, Indian people 0.3%, other Asians 0.2%, mixed blood 2.3% and Hispanic people 16.6% were classified as races.
The Sarasota City Government was incorporated in 1913 and changed its name from Macho to Shisei and changed to Sarasota City. In 1921, when the County was separated from Manati County from Sarasota County, it was designated as the district office location. In the 1940s, the Municipal Government Committee adopted the Municipal Government Committee and Manager system, and ruled by the Municipal Government Committee, which consists of five members who are elected by a referendum. In April every year, a mutual vote among the members selects the mayor and vice mayor who are given a formal title.
In the city administration, education, libraries, the bay itself, major waterways, country roads, airports, fire and asset taxes and labor tax, elections, health care, expanded services, flood control, the extermination of mosquitoes, courts and prisons are supervised by the county government. The election of the county council is important for citizens.
In January 2006, the National Association for the Homeless and the National Law Center for the Homeless and the Poor published "Denied Dreams: The Sarasota City was ranked number one among the 20 "tiny cities" in the report, "Criminalization of homeless people in American cities." According to the ordinance issued in 2005 by the city of Sarasota, 'it is illegal to sleep without permission outside public assets, and it is just as it is already illegal in private assets.'
The Sarasota City government provides the following services within the city:
- Sarasota Police Station
- collection of public works and household waste
- water works
- including parks and recreation facilities and the Banwisel Art Hall
In 1925, A. B. Edwards built a theater that could be used for performing arts and movies. It is located at the intersection of Pineapple Avenue and the second street, and has been renovated and used for performing opera. It is designated as the National Register of Historic Places of the United States.
There is the Salasota Orchestra established by Ruth Cotton Butler in 1949, and it has long been called the Florida West Coast Symphony Orchestra. Three weeks of salasota music festivals have been held, attracting well known instructors and distinguished students of chamber music.
In the early 1950s, the John and Maybel Ring Museum bought the historic Italian theater "Asolo." A. Everett "Sick" Austin, the first manager of the museum, arranged the acquisition and reassembling it into a theater where plays and operas can be performed. This theater was originally built in 1798, and was dismantled and stored in warehouses in the 1930s. A collector and dealer in Venice, Adolf Lewie, bought the theater and stored the parts in the warehouse until they were brought to Sarasota. The theater was reassembled in a building extended to the west of the north wing of the museum. where John Ringling would not have built his art school. The new building housing the historic theater is a small garden with a small statue of a small man separated from the museum. In the 1980s, the theater was used by the Foreign Film Club and the movie was shown every Monday night. The club expanded and built its own theater in Burns Court, near the central town of Barnes Square.
Later, the local architect Stuart Berger designed another "Asolo Theater" and supervised the construction of the theater, which was then placed at the Florida State University Entertainment Center. Located further east of the site of the John and Maybel Ring Art Museum, between the Bay Shore Road and the Tamami Trail, the facility has several stages, and faces the south of the Ring Plaza. Originally built in the Rococo era, it was a historic theater in Scotland that was carried to Florida. The facility is used as a venue and facility for students of the Asho Actor Training School, a school of entertainment at Florida State University. This was the administration office of the Salasota French Film Festival for several years. The site was used for films and events that focused on French films and stars.
In the 1960s, Van Wisel made it possible to build a show hall at the bay front. The site of the Banwisel Show Business Hall was designed under the direction of William Wesley Peters by a team of Tulysin Associated Architects, a successor of Frank Lloyd Wright. Light's widow, Orgibana Lloyd Wright, joined the project and chose purple.
Other cultural attractions in Sarasota City include Sarasota Valley, Sarasota Opera, Asolo Repertory Theater, Florida Studio Theater, Sarasota Plays, Vanian Theater Company, and various musical, dance, art and theater venues. Since 1998, the Sarasota Film Festival has been held annually to show independent films from all over the world. It is one of the largest film festivals in Florida. In 2009, the annual Ring Ring International Art Festival was held at the historic Solo Theater for the opening and closing of the curtain. The Venetian theater is used for various events held by museums.
In 2010, the Salasota Chalk Festival, held annually in historic Barnes Square, became the country's first international street painting festival. It is a celebration of street painting in Italy in the 16th century, and Mueller invited Edgar Müller, Maestro Madonaro from Germany, to draw the first picture, and from day to night the image was changed. Many children took part in the weekend with internationally famous street painters. At the 2013 festival, the venue was extended from Barnes Square to Pineapple Avenue across Main Street to Fivepoints Park, but at the Ring and Main Rotary, traffic was flowing. The festival changes its theme every year and introduces new technologies. Abenida de Cororez also holds events in other areas such as wall paintings and "Cellograph Graffiti". In the case of murals, unlike street painting, its patron works for preservation. The murals are part of the 'Going Vertical' project and are sometimes held at the same time as the Chokku Festival, but are often held throughout the year. Except for a few items that were ordered to the public land of Palm Avenue parking, many of them are located on private land, and the place is not only in Sarasota County but also in Manati County. Tours and maps of the mural paintings are also prepared.
The city is home to marine rescue, research facilities, and aquariums such as the Mort Marine Research Institute, Marie Selby Botanical Garden, the G. With Museum and the Salasota Jungle Garden. There are also many historic places and areas.
Higher education institutions include New College of Florida of the RTL, Kaiser College of Salasota of the private sector, Florida State University Actor Training School, Ringling Art Design College, Eckard College Satellite Campus of St. Petersburg, and Florida State University Medical School of Tallahsi. In addition, there is East West College of Natural Medicine, a college of acupuncture and certification of Chinese medicine.
Schools are available in Florida State College Manati Sarasota and South Florida University Branch in Tampa.
With the Ring Museum, Italian architecture and culture are strong. Many houses and buildings are designed in the Italian style, and the Venetian style, such as Sa Dozan in the ring, is famous among them. There are many statues that inspired Italy, and the statue of David from Michelangelo is used as a symbol of Sarasota City (see the city logo).
The Sarasota School of Architecture has developed as a variant of modern architecture in the middle of the century. It incorporates elements of the "organic" architecture of Bauhaus and Frank Lloyd Wright. It was adapted to the subtropical climate of the region and developed by applying newly developed materials and methods of construction after World War II. Philip Hiss was the protagonist of the movement.
The architects who built this new design were Paul Rudolf and Ralph Twicelli. The second generation was Jean Ledee, Jack West, Victor Randy, Mark Hampton, James Holiday, Ralph Simmerman, and the people who are still active today are William Jimmerman, Carl Abbott, Edward J. "Tim" Siebert, and Frank Forsum Smith.
The houses in Florida in Rudolf attracted attention in the world of architecture. It started with receiving large-scale deals such as the Wellesley University's Jewet Art Center. In 1958, Rudolf was chosen to be the president of the Faculty of Architecture, just after he designed the school building of Yale University. After six years in the post, he returned to his business.
In recent years, a bank building designed by Jack West has been renovated and reopened as its head office. It is located at the intersection with Bahia Vista in Tamami Trail. At first, the project was scheduled to be disorganized, but the new project was approved within the city's planning department in response to opposition from Kafi Benz, the leader of the local historical conservation movement. The building uses a sculpture of a jack cartridge from the beginning.
Historic buildings and locations
By the end of the 20th century, many historic buildings in the city have been dismantled. The entire Whitaker family site along the bay was erased by the construction of the apartment building. Their cemetery remains to the east of Tamami Trail and is owned by the daughters of the American Revolution. next to the city's Pioneer Park. In recent years, the Crocker Church and Bidwell Wood House have become the city's assets. The Bidwell Wood residence is the oldest building in the city. First restored were the members of the Sarasota Historical Preservation Alliance established by Veronica Morgan and mainly Morgan. Sarasota County Historical Association arranged the transfer. The buildings were moved to the city's park, but residents were opposed to the plan, saying the park would have less space. It has been necessary to repair again because of the decay of the past decade.
In the late 1970s, Sarasota County acquired and restored the Terrace Hotel built by Charles Ringling, and used it as a county government building. This building and the neighboring county building were donated to Sarasota County, which was built in 1921, and are designated as the National Register of Historic Places of the United States of America. The county building was designed by Dwight James Baum.
Over the next decade, El Bernona, a landmark hotel built by Owen Barnes, was turned into an apartment but was in danger. By this time, it was called John Ringling Towers, and the boss of the phosphorus, Gardiner, bought it and tried to make it his headquarters. The tenant agreement was canceled and a plan to repair the building was made. The Municipal Government Commission initially supported the plan, but lobbying against the plan occurred and one of the Municipal Government Commissioners turned against it. The plan was rejected at the last hearing. The angry Gardiners left the city, and the one who took over them made a loud change in order to dismantle them, making them less attractive, and at last the vagrant and stealthy, kept them in.
The town's movement to preserve this building began. Among them was the real estate office of Owen Barnes, which was renovated to use as Carl Bickel's house. The Sarasota Historical Preservation Association, a historical preservation organization, was established by Veronica Morgan, who saved the building and promoted the preservation of the history of the whole town. Thanks to the support of many city architects, the Hotel Development Group acquired the land and two structures and registered them as the National Register of Historic Places of the United States, but another developer who had been bidding for the assets filed a suit. The result of the legal battle was the loss of the hotel development group. At last, both buildings were dismantled.
In the 1990s, there were cases where preservation succeeded. The Civic Center, which was designed by Thomas Reed Martin and Clarence A Martin, was registered as a National Register of Historic Places in the United States, and in 1937, when the Public Works Promotion Bureau was completed in an age to recover from the Great Depression, both the inside and the outside were carefully renovated. This facility is used by 100,000 people a year and various events are held there. The Federal Building, designed by George Alby Freeman and Luis A. Simon, was later renovated.
Most of the luxurious dwellings built on the north coast of the Sarasota Bay during the booming period of the 1920s have survived. This group of buildings is built on a large site on a hill along the widest part of the bay, and in the center is the John and Mayble Ring Museum. One of them was Sa Dozan, the residence of John and Mayble Ring, and was recently renovated by Bill Puig's support.
However, there is no important building that belongs to the relatively new Sarasota Architectural School in the mid-20th century. They are new to the protection of history, and are often not recognized by the public. There is a high risk of being dismantled for a new development project without considering the cultural and historical importance of these projects. However, it is urged that the plan be integrated into the new plan, leaving the structure.
In 2006, the Sarasota County Board of Education decided to demolish Riverview High School, the largest building of Paul Rudolf. Many citizens, including architects, history conservationists and city planners, opposed the decision. Those who thought the structure would not work any longer agreed. The pros and cons were divided widely. The World Monument Foundation placed the school in the category of "Main Street Modern" in the "List of 100 Most Dangerous Sites in 2008."
The Sarasota town had a different reputation for Rudolf's architecture, but not in the international art world. New Urbanist planner and architect Andrés Duaney strongly supported the school's preservation. At a mass rally in January 2007, when asked about the plan by Kafi Benz, the leader of the Historical Preservation Movement, Duaney said that if the city is allowed to demolish, it would lose its international status as the center of art. This historic building was the main structure of the whole school and also had a planetarium. There was a proposal to put the high school on the National Historical Preservation Trust's List of Most Dangerous Historic Buildings in Japan.
Following the charlet of March 2007, which was held by the National Preservation of History Trust, the proposal to repair and preserve the Rudolf buildings was promoted. The Board of Education has decided a one-year grace period to consider the proposed repair and preservation plan. The plan was to build a parking lot with a playground on top of the structure rather than demolishing it.
At the beginning of June 2008, the Board of Education announced that the school would be dismantled and a parking lot would be built afterwards. One year later, in June 2009, Riverview High School was dismantled.
Other cultural aspects
Sarasota-born and winged Nick Wardenda is internationally known for crossing the Niagara Falls and the Valley of the Grand Canyon. He is a member of the Walderian family known for its acrobatics and incredible performances that have been trained and lived in Sarasota for several generations.
While the ring circus was in the winter, many circus entertainers lived in Sarasota. Some of the family remained in the city even after they left the city for a winter camp in Venice. There is a strong tradition of circus in town culture.
Sarasota City is also known for its architecture, art, performing arts, and writers who lived and worked in towns. John D. McDonald's has set up a salarata in many of its novels, featuring landmark buildings and famous local restaurants. The Tamami Trail's Mel O'Die is still dying, waiting for repairs.
Several movies were shot in a salasota. Focusing on the street art "Going Vertical" program held at Sarasota Chalk Festival, this movie was released internationally in a documentary film "Florida: Unintended Film" produced by a mural painter. It's just one of many movies made about the festival and the artist.
TV movie "Breaking Amish: Brave New World" is set in the Pincraft District of Sarasota. Spin off "Breaking Amish".
Sarasota-based companies include Boirshead Provision Co. The main employers are Dr's Hospital of Sarasota, APAC Customer Service, Zenith, and Cap Gemini.
Sarasota is in the Tanpa St. Petersburg Sarasota TV market designated by Nielsen. As a local TV station, there is a ABC-affiliated WWSB, which is the only national TV station in Sarasota. Other series and public broadcasts are being broadcast by Fort Myers and Tampa.
According to Abitron, the market in Salasota Braidenton Radio is the 73rd largest in the country and sixth largest in Florida. The city has FM6 stations and AM3 radio stations. You can also listen to the broadcasts from Tampa Bay and Fort Myers.
The daily newspaper in the city is "Sarasota Herald Tribune." "SRQ Daily" is an electronic newspaper updated daily, and "Sarasota Observer" was changed from weekly to daily. The weekly newspapers are "Sarasota News Reader" and "This Week in Sarasota" published in 2012.
Sports and recreation
The sarasota has a warm climate, so the golf that the Scots brought to America has become popular. One of them was John Hamilton Jerespie, the early pioneer. The Sarabay Course in the Whitfield area was designed by Donald Ross, a golf course designer. The golfer Bobby Jones was using a salasota golf course. There are many golf courses in the area, including one for a hotel designed by John Ring at the southern end of the long-boatkey.
Fishing was also a popular sport because the Sarasota Bay was rich in fertility and attracted many rich people and adventurers in the early days. Tarpon is the largest fish, but there were many kinds of fish, such as a huge Garh.
In 1937, the Public Works Promotion Bureau, the city government, local residents, and business owners donated money to build the Citizens Hall Recreation Club. It was the center of sports, entertainment and recreation. The sport ranges from badminton, basketball, boat, lawn bowling, shuffle board to tennis. At the Kaikan Hall, there were many hobbies such as cards, dancing, games, and gardening, and it became a meeting place for business and education, and a place where events and dancing were held at local schools and charities. Tourists visited the exhibition held by local companies. This building is designated as the National Register of Historic Places of the United States because of its architecture and its extensive regional events held every week.
There is Ed Smith Stadium in the city, where Baltimore Orioles use it for spring training. Twin Lakes Park also has a minor league facility. Both facilities were upgraded after the spring training in 2010. Under the agreement with the Orioles, Cal Lipken Youth Baseball Club is being held in Sarasota.
The Sarasota Marathon started in 2005. In 2010, the number of sponsors decreased and the number of runners were reduced, so the marathon was changed to a half marathon. It's near the John and Mayble Museum as the start goal.
There are two swimming teams. The well known Sarasota Shakes has a history and has won a national convention. The new team is Sarasota Tsunami, which was established by a former coach at Shirks.
Sarasota Sailing Squadulon is an active facility and has held a nationwide famous Dinghy and large boat Regatta.
Sarasota Braidenton International Airport is the largest airport in the region and is shared by Sarasota and Manati Counties. Five airlines operate regular flights mainly in Japan and Canada. There are more than 1.3 million users a year. It is also possible to go through customs procedures for passengers from abroad. St. Petersburg Clearwater International Airport and Tampa International Airport are about an hour north of the car, and Fort Myers' South West Florida International Airport is about 45 minutes south of the car. Both airports have many flights outside Japan.
Sarasota County Community Transportation Co., Ltd. runs a bus service in the county. There is also a limited connection to Manati County Area Transportation. Light rail, commuter railway, long-distance bus, etc., are planning to build a future transportation infrastructure along with the Tampa Bay Area Transportation Bureau. The current important task is the Florida High Speed Railway. No Amtrack train stops at Sarasota, but a direct bus runs from Sarasota Station in the central city to Amtrack Station in Tampa City. The CSX Transport freight line is serving the needs of Sarasota's factory.
Water traffic is also important because it is located on the Gulf of Mexico. The coastal waterway is 3,000 miles (5,000 km) long, and is used by Tugboat, Lighter and Leisure Boat from the Atlantic Ocean. It is a great deep port near the Manati and Tampa ports. The waterway into Sarasota Bay is accessible to the pier in the downtown city of Sarasota.
Road traffic is important because it is located on the Gulf of Mexico and near several metropolitan areas.
- Interstate Expressway Route 75: It is the only expressway in the area, and it is a main highway that runs five miles east (8 km) from the center of the town and connects Miami and Tampa in the south
- Tamami Trail of U.S. National Route 41 - Runs from the south toward the center of Sarasota City, runs west at the south end of U.S. National Route 301, runs along the Bayfront Drive, and then goes north along the coast
- US National Route 301 - From National Route 41 to the north, running in parallel between National Route 41 and Interstate Expressway Route 75 to Washington Boulevard
- Florida National Route 780 - Platform 3 / Fluteville Road - National Route 41, east-west, National Route 301, and Interstate Expressway Route 75
- Florida Route 789 - Started as John Ringling Causeway, headed north for Birkey and Reidoukee, turning north to the Gulf of Mexico
A member of the Citizens Advisory Committee of the Sarasota Braedington Urban Area Planning Agency introduced the works of Michael Wallworks, and Sarasota City adopted a rotary in several places in the city and plans will remain. The Tamami Trail also has the intention of constructing a series of modern rotary, which is considered to be a national success. It was built at the intersection of Main Street, Pineapple Avenue and Central Avenue, and then at the entrance to the historic Barnes Square in the nearby Charles Ringling Boulevard. There are other plans in the central town.
The City Administration Committee has chosen the following cities to be their sister cities: The cities have signed a cooperative agreement with each other between geographically and politically-characterized areas to promote cultural and commercial ties. The sister cities started in 1836 with Parderborn in Germany and Le Mans in France. The current application began in 1931.
- Hamilton, ONTARIO, Canada (1990)
- France, Perpignan (1994)
- Israel, Termond (1994)
- Russia, Vladimir (1994)
- United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife, Dunferrin (2002)
- Treviso, Italy (February 2007)
- Shomei Ward, Xiamen City, Fujian Province, China (2007)
- Mexico, Yucatan, Merida (2010)
- ^ LaHurd, Jeff, Come on Down!: Pitching Paradise During the Roaring 20s, Sarasota Alliance for Historical Reservation, 1995 ISBN 978-1-888438-00-0 ISBN 1888438002
- ^ "The City of Sarasota Florida Website". The City of Sarasota Florida Website. Read on September 21, 2012.
- ^ "Florida by place Population, Housing Units, Area and Density:2000". U.S. Census Bureau. Read on July 24, 2007.
- ^ "Sarasota, United States Page". Falling Rain Genomics. Read on July 24, 2007.
- ^ "Annual Estimates of the population for the Incorporated Places of Florida (XLS)". U.S. Census Bureau. Read on July 24, 2007.
- ^ American FactFinder, United States Census Bureauhttp://factfinder.census.gov 31-January 2008.
- ^ US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey, (2007-10-25)http://geonames.usgs.gov January 31, 2008.
- ^ "Welcome to the Chairs Coordinating Committee Website". Charis Coordinating Committee. On August 30, 2010:
- ^ "Did You Know... City Trivia P - T". Florida League of Cities Inc.. On August 30, 2010:
- ^ Burnett Gene M. (1986) Florida's Past: People and Events that Shaped the State. Pineapple Press Inc., Sarasota, FL
- ^ "Preserve America Community: Sarasota, Florida". Preserve America (March 4, 2009). On August 30, 2010:
- ^ "Sarasota County". Sarasota County Covernment. Read on September 19, 2013.
- ^ Owen Burns
- ^ "Mrs. Bertha Palmer's Vision". Sarasota History. On August 30, 2010:
- ^ "Bertha Palmer's Vision: Her Impact on Sarasota". Sarasota History Alive. Read on September 19, 2013.
- ^ "?" Sarasota County Government. Read on September 19, 2013.
- ^ Benz, Kafi, Residence of Hester Ringling Lancaster Sanford, Sarasota History Alive!, Journals of Yesteryear, April 29, 2009
- ^ Benz, Kafi, Residence of Edith Ringling, Sarasota History Alive!, Journals of Yesteryear, December 8, 2010
- ^ Van, Eliot. (2013-03-28) Al Franken Jokes, But Google Fiber Is No Laughing Matter | Wired Business. Wired.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-17.
- ^ Bubil, Harold (January 27, 2008). "Secret bank records shine light on 1920s boom and bust". HeraldTribune.com. Viewed on December 18, 2012.
- ^ Callan, Eoin (August 9, 2007). "Florida at centre of US housing bust". FT.com. Viewed on December 18, 2012.
- ^ Braga, Michael (August 11, 2007). "In globe's financial crunch, ground zero is ... Sarasota?". HeraldTribune.com. Viewed on December 18, 2012.
- ^ 
- ^ US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau, (2011-02-12)Available April 23, 2011.
- ^ "Monthly Averages for Sarasota, FL". The Weather Channel. On April 19, 2010, it was read.
- ^ "Census Of Population And Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. On October 28, 2008, it
- ^ 2010 population report for Sarasota
- ^ "City of Sarasota"
- ^ "Narratives of the Meanest Cities - National Coalition for the Homeless". Read on April 2, 2010. Report in PDF.
- ^ "Sarasota, Fla. named meanest city for homeless". USA Today. (January 13, 2006)April 2, 2010. "Sarasota, Fla. named meanest city for homeless," USAtoday and USAtoday.com, January 13, 2006.
- ^ "Tough on the homeless, city deemed heartless". Read on April 2, 2010. "Tough on the homeless, city deemed heartless: Sarasota defends its no-camping ordinance that won it the top spot on a national 'mean list'," St. Petersburg Times, Brady Dennis, January 30, 2006.
- ^ Weingarten, Abby (October 28, 2010). "Street art goes global this year". Sarasota Herald Tribune. The New York Times Company. p. E6. Read on September 19, 2013.
- ^ Ball, David (October 23, 2010). "Artists to make the pavement come alive in Sarasota". Sarasota Herald Tribune. The New York Times Company. p. BN1. Viewed on December 7, 2010.
- ^ Jennings, David, A Tale of Two Commissions, Sarasota Alliance for Historical Reservation, Inc. Newsletter, February 2005, volume twenty, number two, Box 1754, Sarasota, Florida 34230 - with illustrations of Crocker Church and Bidwell-Wood House by Kafi Benz
- ^ LaHurd, Jeff, Sarasota, A History, The History Press, Charleston, South Carolina, IBSSN 1-59629-119-2
- ^ Joyce Owens (July 11, 2009). "Rudolph's Riverview High School Demolished". originally published on News-press.com. Do.co.mo.mo-us.org. On August 27, 2010:
- ^ MTO, FL: unpremeditated movie, 2013, Berlin, Germany
- ^ Rojo, Jamie and Harrington, Steven, "Unpremeditated" Movie from Street Artist MTO is a Knock Out, Huffington Post, March 20, 2013
- ^ Freundeskreis Street-Art Berlin MTO Dokumentation: FL: unpremeditated movie
- ^ Dokumentaalika & Stencibility | Genialistide Klubi. Genklubi.ee (2013-03-16). Retrieved on 2013-07-17.
- ^ Smith, Jessi, Get a ringside seat: MTO is not pulling any punches in his latest mural, This Week in Sarasota, December 20, 2012
- ^ Economic Development Corporation of Sarasota County - Top Private Employers 2012
- ^ "Top 50 TV markets ranked by households". Northwestern University Media Management Center. Archived from original as of August 7, 2007. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Arbitron Radio Market Rankings: Spring 2007". Arbitron. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ Baltimore Sun: Orioles reach deal for spring training set for Sarasota
- ^ "2008 Sarasota Marathon". 2008 Sarasota Marathon. Read on January 8, 2009.
- ^ 2006 Opti Nationals. Sarasotasailingsquadron.com (2006-07-30). Retrieved on 2013-07-17.
- ^ a b c"By Air, Sea and Road". Manatee Chamber of Commerce. Read on September 10, 2010.
- ^ "Hamilton, Province of Ontario, Canada: 1990". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Perpignan, Languedoc-Roussillion, France: 1994". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Tel Mond, Israel:1994". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Vladimir, Russia:1994". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Treviso,Italy:2007". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- ^ "Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China:Candidate City". Sarasota Sister Cities Association. Read on September 3, 2007.
- official website
- Sarasota County History Center
- Sarasota Herald-Tribune Local News
- Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce
- Sarasota Convention and Visitors Bureau
- WWSB, ABC 7 Local News and Weather
- WSRQ, Local Radio for News Talk